It is our extreme honor and privilege to invite our Proverbs 31 Online Bible Study community to join us in our first ever Proverbs 31 Ministries Gives Back.
We’ve been telling you about Dove’s Nest, a beautiful facility dedicated to the glory of God to help women who are fighting addiction get the help they need and begin a new life. If you missed last week’s post about Dove’s Nest, please click here.
We asked some residents of Dove’s Nest to write about their time there. Check out these 2 experiences from 2 ladies at different places in their journey towards healing. You may want to grab a tissue before you begin…just saying.
A Dove’s Nest Arrival
I arrived at the Dove’s Nest on July 25, 2013 after 25 years of drinking and drugging. I came to the Dove’s Nest by walking out on faith, after being beat down mentally, physically, and spiritually from a deadly disease called addiction. I called the Dove’s Nest many times before, but when I received the call back from staff, I would never answer the phone. I was hopelessly in denial that there could not possibly be any help for me. The guilt and shame of using and losing everything again was too much to bear. I was devastated and felt lost. One night after using I fell to my knees crying and pleading and asking the Lord Almighty why I was like this. What’s wrong with me? Why can’t I stop using drugs? Why do I do the things I do? Why do I hurt the ones I love? Why do I continue to hurt myself? And the answer he gave me was the Dove’s Nest. God continued to say to me Dove’s Nest until I called the next morning.
I called the Dove’s Nest on July 22. I left another message. However, this time when the call was returned, I answered with tear filled eyes. I reached out and asked for help and was told there was a waiting list. I was crushed. The Admissions Coordinator told me to call back each Monday to check for openings. I prayed and instead of calling every Monday, I called every day asking for help. I knew I wouldn’t, couldn’t wait 6 to 8 weeks. I was in dire need of help. I was admitted into the program that same week and as I walked up to the building, I looked up and saw the words, “Behold, I make all things new.” I knew then I was where I needed to be. The first night at Dove’s Nest was the first sound, peaceful night I had had in months. I prayed to God and thanked him for sparing my life and blessing me with this opportunity at the Dove’s Nest and this is what he said to me: “This is a place of peace, growth, and perseverance. My umbrella surrounds you all. You have a defender who knows your name, who fights on your behalf, who protects your heart. He surrounds you with love, fortifies you with favor, keeps you in His care. The battles rage, and yes, in this fallen world, sometimes we are wounded. But with Him on our side, we can be sure we will never be defeated!”
A Dove’s Nest Resident, 9 weeks
I have been at Dove’s Nest for 9 weeks today. I have been clean for 11 weeks today. When I walked through those doors, I was still physically sick and thoroughly broken, emotionally and spiritually. I was terrified; I thought I would feel that way forever. I thank God those feelings are neither permanent nor factual. I thank God for this program that is teaching me how to feel things without immediately acting impulsively. My life here now almost feels surreal; the peace and contentment and love are little miracles that I live every day here. I am discovering who I am, learning how to trust other women and surprising myself with my character assets that were latent for so long in my active addiction. I have quite a ways to go in this program and I honestly can’t fathom all the tools I will be leaving with if I continue to apply myself diligently! This program is quite literally life saving.
A Personal Message from Melissa & Nicki~
As you can see, there are many ways you can get involved and help! We are devoting the next 2 weeks to Proverbs 31 Ministries Gives Back to Dove’s Nest. Here are some giving options that everyone can participate in:
1. Prayer. Pray for Dove’s Nest, the staff, the women, and the children who are there daily. If you can, write your prayer and mail it to us. We will deliver all the prayers we collect to Dove’s Nest. Send in your prayers to the address at the bottom of this post.
2. Scripture. Write Bible verses on decorative cards or on index cards. Often Dove’s Nest will place something on the residents’ pillows at night. How beautiful for them to all receive God’s Word before going to sleep. Send in your verses to the address at the bottom of this post.
No matter how you write God’s Word, it’s beautiful. And will be so appreciated by the residents of Dove’s Nest.
3. Words of Encouragement. Everyone needs this. Can you write a note of encouragement to a few of the ladies at Dove’s Nest? Send your words to the address at the bottom of this post.
4. Pictures (and all of the above) drawn by your kids for the kids of Dove’s Nest. (This would make a great family activity. Visit the Dove’s Nest website and share with your family what it’s all about and how they are bringing the love of God to these women and children who are struggling. Send your artwork to the address at the bottom of this post. (This particular picture was drawn by a sweet 7 year old girl.)
5. Financial support. Dove’s Nest needs our help! With 24,000+ in this study, if everyone just donated $1, imagine the impact that would have? We realize that some of you are struggling financially, which is why we have so many giving options for everyone. But we also know that we have some of you who are financially blessed. Please pray how you could help support Dove’s Nest. Below are various ways your generous gifts could be used. There is no amount too small for God to use.
How gifts can be used at Dove’s Nest:
- $1.97 provides a nourishing meal for a woman or child
- $2.99 provides poster board paint for art therapy
- $4.99 provides ballet tights for a Dove’s Nest child to attend free dance camp
- $5.97 provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a woman or child on their first day at Dove’s Nest
- $10.00 provides a day pass to Discovery Place, a learning center that happens to be a favorite of our children!
- $15 provides a flash drive to store resumes and cover letters
- $23 provides a 10-ride bus pass to get to school, appointments, interviews
- $50 provides back-to-school uniform, backpack and other items to get a child ready for school
- $70.33 provides food, safe shelter, and life-changing services at Dove’s Nest for one woman for one day
- $80 provides a bus pass for a woman and her child for a month
- $250 helps with after-care services after a woman graduates from Dove’s Nest
- $492.31 provides food, safe shelter, and life-changing services at Dove’s Nest for one woman for a whole week
- $2,139 provides food, safe shelter, and life-changing services at Dove’s Nest for one woman for a whole month
- $7,384 provides those services for the entire length of stay (4+ months) for a woman and her family to experience God’s healing
If you would like to give a financial gift to Dove’s Nest, click the link just below. You will be directed to a page that is safe and confidential, where your gifts will go directly to Dove’s Nest.
No matter how you decide to give, we want to thank you in advance. You are making a difference. Through our prayers and gifts, we are able to help make the impossible possible for the women and children at Dove’s Nest.
I’m so excited to see the impact our community has on Dove’s Nest. Thank you for partnering with Proverbs 31 Ministries as we give back and make a difference in the lives of these courageous women and children of Dove’s Nest.
If you are participating in Giving Options 1-4, please mail your verses, encouragement,pictures, etc to:
Proverbs 31 Gives Back to Dove’s Nest
630 Team Rd. Suite 100
Matthews, NC 28105
Please try to do this within the next 2 weeks. We will be having a special gathering of our local OBS ladies and delivering your sweet gifts to Dove’s Nest.
Thanks for joining us! Love this group so much!